850 River Road
Prince George, B.C.
(250) 563-7351
trains@pgrfm.bc.ca

Monday, July 4, 2011

The View From Up Front


Recently I have been able to expand my list of useable life skills thanks to my job here. I am now prepared to work at CN, VIA Rail, or just about any of the companies that hire engineers, just in case my curatorial ambitions don't work out. It's all thanks to my learning how to drive the mini train.

Let me go into reverse for a second. The mini train at the Railway Museum is officially part of the Cottonwood Railway, a set of miniature ride-on trains named for Cottonwood Island Park, the rolling riverside expanse next door. The train travels around the entire museum grounds. Although there are several sets, since I've been here I have only seen the miniature 6001 electric locomotive, its accompanying green passenger cars, and the cheery scarlet caboose which is normally my preserve. Until last week I was a contented conductor, proud of my whistle and my ability to holler "ALL ABOARD!" I had even graduated to taking tickets before the ride.

Then my coworker taught me to drive. It's a little more complicated than it looks. There's the bell (only to be used when leaving the station), the horn (used in a very complicated series of patterns throughout the ride), and the throttle, the metal dial that actually allows you to move and controls your speed. The start-up sequence is as follows: remove wooden brake, flip power switch, turn ignition key, check battery light, sound bell for ten seconds, horn for two blasts in response to conductor's whistle. Of course, at some point you also have to board the train.

Driving requires constant awareness of your surroundings. The horn must sound whenever you reach certain signs, you should slow down during trips through the beehive burner and beside the train shed, and if the conductor whistles once you'd better be prepared to slow and stop quickly, because the train is probably off the tracks. And there can be other hazards. According to my colleagues, there are occasions where the park's furry denizens (the rabbits and squirrels) don't move out of the way soon enough and you must bring the train to a grinding halt.

In spite of the added responsibilities, I immediately felt an intense sense of pride when I'd completed the routine. Getting off that train means that I've brought all my passengers back safely. Now, I have two railway traditions to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment